I know the first day of Xmas is technically the 25th of Dec, and not the 12th. But really, who wants to look at Xmas recipes after Xmas? So instead, I’ll be counting down to Xmas in twelve days. Sing along with me: On the first day of Christmas, my True Love gave to me… A rustic pear galette!
This is a simple recipe that doesn’t even require a mixer. All it needs is your hands and some love to make it happen. It’s perfect for those who like fruit in their dessert, especially after all that turkey and ham. And this can be easily made sugar-free for your diabetic or weight-watching relatives since the very little amount of sugar can be substituted with honey or a sugar substitute.
Yields: One 8″ freeform tart
(Adapted from the Michel Roux Pastry book)
250g plain flour
150g butter, cold
1 tsp fine salt
1 tbsp cold milk
1. Place flour, salt and cold butter onto work bench.
2. Using a pastry cutter or knife, cut butter into small pieces while coating them with flour.
3. Using only your fingertips, pinch butter cubes into smaller peanut-sized pieces.
4. Mix the egg and cold milk together, then pour it into your butter-flour mixture. Using your finger, incorporate the flour mixture into the liquid in the middle until it forms a dough.
5. Knead it until the dough just comes together. Don’t overwork it as it will become tough. Shape into a block, cling-wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
2 firm but ripe pears
30g unsalted butter
60g sugar (Substitute with 40g honey to make it sugar-free!)
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1. Peel and core pears. Then cut each pear into 16 wedges.
2. In a pan over high heat, add pears and let them brown slightly. Add in butter and sugar and let it cook for about 1 minute. Remove from heat and add cinnamon and vanilla. Let mixture cool.
Assembling the galette:
1. Roll out pate brisee to 3-5mm thickness and trim edges to form a large circle. Then arrange pear slices in the middle, in any fashion you like.
3. Bake at 400oF/200oC for approximately 15-18 minutes until pastry is golden-brown.
4. Serve warm with ice-cream or whipped cream!